Sunday, February 24, 2008

J and K's Oscar Predictions

After all the hub-bub over "will the Oscars happen or not," the WGA strike ended and the Oscar ceremony has now snuck up on an unsuspecting populace of Oscar prognosticators.

So here now, mere hours before the ceremony commences, we present both our predictions and our own desires in the main categories...

KRISTIE's OSCAR PICKS
2008 has been a fantastic year, and although I am (for the most part) happy with the nominees, I still smart a little over a few. How In the Valley of Elah could not be nominated for best picture is beyond me, and as much as I love Cate Blanchett, I still scratch my head over her inclusion as best actress over Angelina Jolie. However, the Academy decided, so it's time for me to toe the line and pick from their nominees.

Often, what should win is what will win, but not always. Therefore, I have listed below my informed opinion as to how the Academy will vote/who will win, and then, in case anyone cares about my humble opinion on who/what I think should win, I have listed that as well.

This year is exciting, for so many films and people are deserving. And really, the only way I will go to bed crying is if Diablo Cody gets robbed or if Atonement (with its miserable second half) wins anything.

BEST PICTURE: NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN (Dark Horse: Michael Clayton)
BEST DIRECTOR:  JOEL AND ETHAN COEN  (Dark Horse: Julian Schnabel)
BEST ACTOR: DANIEL DAY-LEWIS (Locked)
BEST ACTRESS: JULIE CHRISTIE  (Dark Horse: Ellen Page)
BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR: JAVIER BARDEM (Locked)
BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS: AMY RYAN  (Dark Horse: Tilda Swinton)
BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY: DIABLO CODY (Better not be the dark horse: Tony Gilroy)
BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY: JOEL AND ETHAN COEN (Dark Horse: P.T. Anderson)

Should Win:
BEST PIC: JUNO, JUNO, JUNO
BEST DIRECTOR: JOEL AND ETHAN COEN
BEST ACTOR: TOMMY LEE JONES/DANIEL DAY-LEWIS
BEST ACTRESS: ELLEN PAGE, ELLEN PAGE, ELLEN PAGE
BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR: JAVIER BARDEM
BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS: AMY RYAN
BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY: DIABLO CODY
BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY: JOEL AND ETHAN COEN

JASON's OSCAR PICKS
This has been a tremendously satisfying Oscar season...for the first time in a long while. I like or love nearly all of the nominees, there were not many awful and/or unfair surprises, and while I may not personally agree with every final decision, I most likely won't be as upset as I have been in past (read: the years of Gladiator and Crash).

Allow me to explain a few of my choices. I feel like only a couple of categories are locked--namely Best Actor and Supporting Actor. After that, it gets fuzzier. I really feel Julian Schnabel could upset in the directing race. Ellen Page and Marion Cotillard were revelatory, and could upset presumed best actress winner Julie Christie. I will go with Page simply because hers was the most memorable and groundbreaking performance in 2008. She is what made this year special. So, I may be wrong...I may be going with my heart over my logic...but away I go. 

And what's this I keep hearing about Tilda Swinton? Her name keeps coming up more and more...could she come out of the supporting actress blue? I think so.

And then, best picture. No Country probably has it locked, but stranger things have happened. Juno was the crowd-pleaser of the year, and the biggest moneymaker. Michael Clayton is solid and well-respected, and could come out the winner. Really. Keep your eyes peeled.

So here are my predictions, followed by my desires. I am going out on a couple of limbs, because I'd rather go with my gut than rack up correct predictions (although that's always fun, too)...

BEST PICTURE: NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN (Dark Horse: Michael Clayton)
BEST DIRECTOR:  JOEL AND ETHAN COEN (Close Second: Julian Schnabel)
BEST ACTOR: DANIEL DAY-LEWIS (Locked)
BEST ACTRESS: ELLEN PAGE (Dark Horse: Julie Christie)
BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR: JAVIER BARDEM (Locked)
BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS: TILDA SWINTON (Dark Horse: Cate Blanchett)
BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY: DIABLO CODY, Juno (Closer than you think: Tony Gilroy, Michael Clayton)
BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY: JOEL AND ETHAN COEN, No Country for Old Men (Distant Dark Horses: Ronald Harwood, Diving Bell and P.T. Anderson, There Will Be Blood)

Should Win:
BEST PICTURE: JUNO
BEST DIRECTOR: JASON REITMAN
BEST ACTOR: TOMMY LEE JONES
BEST ACTRESS: ELLEN PAGE
BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR: JAVIER BARDEM
BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS: CATE BLANCHETT
BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY: DIABLO CODY
BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY: JOEL AND ETHAN COEN

We will be sure to post tomorrow to discuss how wrong we were...Now, on with the show...

1 comment:

Utah Savage said...

Hi! It's Utah Savage here or Peggy to you. I was so thrilled to find I have a reader with the courage to leave a comment. I wrote and posted a blog piece addressed to you. I so appreciated your comment. I'm new to the internet and old enough that learning to navigate is no small feat. Loved your families Oscar pics. I'm a retired actor so I love to hear what other people with a history with the industry are thinking. I saw all the films. The one Oscar result I did not agree with the academy on was Daniel Day Lewis. It was a grand performance that will certainly become a cult classic, but over the top. Tommy Lee was pitch perfect and what he does seems so effortless that he doesn't get the credit for his brilliant performances. You were so right about Tilda being a dark horse pick and I was so glad she won it. Actually I would have been very happy to have Clooney win best actor.
Your friend in Utah, Utah Savage